The programme seeks to engage with journalists in order to increase their awareness and knowledge on LGBT issues. This is important to tackle stereotypes, stigmatizing attitudes and anti-LGBT biases in the media.
The main objective of this program is to improve the media representation of LGBTI persons, with factually reporting of LGBTI stories, which are useful to the Ugandan community.
This programme links Journalists with LGBTI organisations and individuals who directly share stories with Journalists for publication, to effectively champion factual news that advance human rights and equality.
- Conduct trainings, to raise awareness and capacities of Journalists.
- Personal story sharing to improve journalists’ understanding of LGBTI persons’ realities and of the importance to accurately represent these realities.
- Publication and distribution of clear media guidelines on LGBTI reporting
- Conduct thorough research on media representation on how LGBTI persons are represented.
- Produce materials that can be modified and used in different regions and translated in local languages.
All our media works are informed by research, collaboration and networking with progressive media houses and Journalists, who are passionate about Human rights issues, LGBTI and ready to learn and unlearn.